What is Whey Protein powder?

Anyone that hits the gym has heard about a shaker bottle and Whey protein powder.  Everyone knows that it will help build muscle and that the best time to drink it is after a workout.  But what exactly is whey?  

Whey comes from milk.  There are two types of protein that make up milk.  About 20% is whey and the other 80% is casein protein.  Casein protein is know to be a slow digesting protein and therefore is usually used by bodybuilders and people that lift weights at night before they go to bed.  Casein is thought to help feed your muscles at night with it's slow digesting protein.  Whey is opposite of of casein and is a fast digesting protein.  You want to drink a whey protein shake after a big workout in order to quickly supply your muscles with the protein they need to rebuild and grow.  

Some other benefits of whey include fat loss, increase in strength, reduced hunger, improved immunity, less stress and even helps prevent certain cancers.  You do not need to go to the gym to drink whey protein shakes, you can have a shake at anytime during the day to replace a meal.  Add some fruits, vegetables, seeds, peanut butter or oatmeal to make it more filling.   

Whey protein powder  

Reading next