What is the Ketogenic diet, and does it work?
It is easy to get online and find hundreds of diet fads claimed to help you lose weight. The question is: do they really work? One of these rising diets is the ketogenic- or keto- diet.
What is the keto diet?
The goal is to shift your body into ketosis- which leads to ketones in the blood. This diet is usually passed by because of the confusion of what exactly ketones are, so here’s the breakdown: When you fill your body with carbs, these carbs will convert into glucose for energy. So why don’t we want that? When your body is using these high glycogen levels for energy, it is storing fat. Limiting your carb intake, on the other hand, forces the body to convert the fats in your body into ketones for energy. So instead of storing fat, you’re burning it.
What are the benefits?
- Quick weight loss
- High and longer lasting energy
- Mood improvement
- Appetite suppression
- Low blood pressure
- Prevents epilepsy
- Low risk of type-2 diabetes
So what do you eat for the keto diet?
Most people on the keto diet get their nutrients from about 70% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs.
Do not eat:
- Grains and starches: bread, cereal, pasta, potatoes, ect.
- Sugar: chocolate, syrups, soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, ect.
- Fruit: bananas, apples, ect. excluding avocados and berries occasionally
- Meat: chicken, steak, turkey, beef, ect.
- Fish: salmon, lobster, shrimp, tuna, ect.
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, ect. (great for snacking)
- Vegetables: best to use above the ground leafy green vegetables. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, celery, ect.
- Fats: butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, ect.
So- does it really work?
Everyone’s body and optimal diet plan is different, but for the majority, the keto diet has proved to work. It has been used by many celebrities including the Kardashians and Megan Fox. If you still don’t believe it, the instagram account @ketotransformations shows results from hundreds of people using the diet.
Want to use your Ice Shaker bottle to aid in your keto diet? There are many options of keto friendly protein powders to throw a shake together for a dieter on the go.